18K white gold
Creating a new relationship between the minute and hour hands, this is a watch designed to make you think. Via a good deal of clever engineering, the hands move at the same pace, with minutes read from an outer-track that moves anticlockwise.
- Tech Spec
- Style Guide
- In the Know
The Vingt-8 ISO bears a truly original display of hours and minutes. At the top of each hour, the minute hand overlaps the hour hand, whilst on every half hour, the hands are opposite. A moving chapter ring on the perimeter turns anticlockwise allowing the minutes to be read easily. In this configuration, the angle between the hour and minutes remains the same regardless of the time.
The design of the in-house movement combines respect for longevity and precision with classical watchmaking traditions. A unique balance-spring system allows perfect regulation of the watch to within tolerances. The escapement has two wheels and requires much less energy than a traditional lifting escapement, offering benefits in terms of stability. The elegant balance-wheel bridge offers an unimpeded view of the escapement and balance.
The Nobel Prize laureate, Daniel Kahneman, is best known for his work on the psychology of judgement and decision making. His book, Thinking, Fast and Slow, describes two ways for the brain to form thoughts – System 1 and System 2. Telling the time is an example of a System 1 activity: a glance suffices because the process is so familiar - you can tell the time without having to think twice. The Vingt-8 ISO counters this code.
Conforming to Kahneman’s System 2 behaviour, you can no longer read the time instinctively; the process is made more deliberate and logical. Because System 1 is no longer modus operandi, this creates a more intimate and reflective relationship with the watch. By Kari’s reckoning, taking a few seconds longer to tell the time, you end up knowing the time better because your attention is keener.
- Material: 18k white gold
- Dimensions: 39 x 12.3 mm
- In-house designed movement, with main plate and bridges manufactured from German silver
- New direct impulse escapement with two escapement wheels
- Free sprung balance wheel (with Breguet/Grossmann balance spiral and rose gold timing weights, beating at 18,000 vph)
- Diameter of balance wheel is 13.60 mm. Wheels in rose gold
- Power reserve: 65 hours
- 33 Jewels
- Dimensions: 30 x 5.6 mm
Functions & Indications
- Dial in silver, engine turned by hand with applied gold numerals
- Hands in gold
- All design, manufacturing, construction, fabrication, hand finishing and assembly completed in the Voutilainen workshop
- The surfaces of pinions and wheels are completely flat and polished to uniform tolerances
- All finishing work on the main plate and bridges is by hand to achieve the highest possible levels of surface finish
- Screws and all steel parts are finished and polished by hand
- Sapphire crystal on front and back, with anti-reflection treatment on front
- Matching tang buckle in 18-carat white gold and hand sewn crocodile strap
In The Know
“The Finnish watchmaker’s latest creation takes some time to understand – which is exactly the point.” QP
“The Vingt-8 ISO is the watchmaker’s transformation of psychologist Daniel Kahneman’s theory of ‘System 1 and System 2’ thinking into wristwatch form.” Quill & Pad
“It’s hard for me to take my eyes off this watch. The beautiful guilloché dial is one of the best in the business.” Wrist Review