Coining a unique method of time indication, Ludovic Ballouard’s inaugural timepiece features an inventive and beautifully executed jumping hour complication; showing 11 upside-down numbers, with one – the current hour – the right way up.
Bespoke piece - 12 week production
Make your choice or ask for advice on personnalisation options by clicking on the "Enquire Now" button
- Grey Dial
- Black Dial
- Dark Blue Dial
- Strap colour and material
Price is exclusive of VAT. VAT and delivery charge will be applied at checkout, if applicable.
You will be responsible for all other taxes and charges to receive your order depending on the delivery destination.
- Tech Spec
- Style Guide
- In the Know
- Info & Delivery
The idea of indicating the time by having the correct hour right-side-up, whilst the other 11 displayed numerals are upside-down looks relatively simple. However, the fact that it had never been done before is a testament to the technical difficulty of realising the complication; which is visible through the caseback.
Fully designed, assembled and finished at Ludovic’s Genevan workshop, the Upside Down watch has just one hand, indicating the minutes. The dial itself is refined and uncluttered, with seconds shown on a sub-dial at 6 o’clock. Numerals for the hours are placed on 12 disks, partially tucked under the platinum bezel. The numbers flip instantly at the end of the 59th minute of each hour, and the right-side-up number is made easier to spot by a contrasting dot (or index) that appears as if by magic, from under the bezel. The case in 950 Platinum is sleek, understated and perfect for a dress watch, featuring a concave caseband and graceful crown shield, which protect the non-screw down, hand-engraved crown.
Aesthetically, the piece draws on pared down and minimalist design codes, but the real inspiration behind the Upside Down watch is a philosophical one. By turning time upside-down via a superbly complex movement, Ludovic stresses the importance of the moment by displaying only the present hour whilst hiding the others. He presents lovers of watch mechanics with an explosion of technical subtleties, intricate hand-finishing, and a poetic offering that is as enchanting on one side as it is on the other.
- Material: 950 Platinum
- Dimensions: 41 x 11 mm
- Manual winding mechanical movement with unique (patented) “Upside Down” time indication and small second at 6 o’clock
- Calibre B01 developed by Ludovic Ballouard
- Frequency: 21,600 bph
- Complete movement: 228 parts
- Power reserve: 36 hours
- 51 Jewels
- Dimensions: 35 mm
Functions & Indications
- Displays: Hours indicated by the correct hour being right-side up, whereas all other numbers are upside down. Minutes indicated by central hand. Small seconds at 6 o’clock
- Dial in dark blue or black PVD coated titanium or grey titanium
- Hands in steel or blued steel for the grey dial
- All design, manufacturing, construction, fabrication, hand finishing and assembly completed in the Ludovic Ballouard workshop
- Front and back sapphire glass crystal with anti-reflective treatment
- Decoration: Hand engraving on caseback, crown and buckle
- Water Resistant to 3 ATM (30 meters)
- Hand-stitched alligator strap in blue
- Matching Ludovic Ballouard patented hand-engraved buckle in 950 Platinum
In The Know
“It’s a watch that provides a novel and entertaining display of time, that is wearable in a variety of settings and will be respected years from now.” Quill & Pad
“The heart-shaped cam goes around once each hour and turns one plate each time. The rest is horological magic (meaning the operation and refinement).” Ariel Adams, aBlogtoWatch
“Simple, discreet, elegant and thin enough to fit under a cuff. The Ludovic Ballouard Upside Down fits the description of a dress watch, but also does a whole lot more.” Monochrome
Info & Delivery
Two year warranty from date of delivery
Pieces should be returned to Vir-Log Sàrl, C.P. 1016, Voie des Traz, 1211 Geneva 5 Airport, Switzerland. Please contact Ludovic Ballouard for the process to return the piece
- Watches with issues covered under the warranty: Ludovic Ballouard shall bear the costs of shipping and service
- Watches with issues out-of-warranty: shipping costs are born by the client, service costs will be charged to the client after acceptance of the quote
Turnaround: about 6 weeks from the date of receipt of the watch or from the date of acceptance of the quote by the client, where required. Watch to be returned to client upon receipt of full payment only, where required.
Shipping charge: complimentary by Ludovic Ballouard
Non-contractual delivery time once the piece is ready:
- Europe: about 6 to 9 working days upon receipt of payment, excluding any custom clearance delay
- US: about 6 to 9 working days upon receipt of payment, excluding any custom clearance delay
The brand reserves the right not to deliver to countries outside of the European Union and the United States
Return & Exchange
Made-to-order pieces: no return, no exchange
Advanced payment non refundable
Our priority is customer satisfaction, therefore please do not hesitate to contact SKOLORR to discuss